While making arrangements with funeral homes in Martensville, SK. you will need to decide what type of headstone you will install at your loved one’s gravesite. There are many styles and designs to choose from making this choice very challenging. After all, you want to make sure you select a marker that will be a fitting tribute and that you and your family will love for years to come. Today we are going to cover two of the main elements of a headstone to help you get started.
Types of Headstones
While there are a number of different designs of headstones can be seen, there are three main types or categories of these grave markers to choose from. These main types include:
- Upright Monument – This is what you most likely imagine when you think of a headstone. These markers are attached to a concrete base and can be seen in several various styles, colors, and materials.
- Slant Marker– These markers are shaped with a slanted front and sit between twelve and sixteen inches high. It is on the slanted front where any design and lettering will be.
- Flat Marker– Also called a ground marker, these monuments are typically about three to four inches thick k and sit flush in the ground. They can be found in many shapes with the most common being a rectangle.
Material of the Headstone
Once you have the type of headstone selected, the next decision to make is choosing the material it will be made from. There are several different materials and each one has its own set of pros and cons. Let’s take a look at some of the most common choices:
- Bronze– A bronze headstone is a great choice for those families who want to stay on a budget as these can be found less expensive than some of the other options. Bronze is also a popular choice because it does not require much maintenance to keep it in good shape over the years.
- Marble – Marble headstones can look very elegant and classy. That is because marble itself tends to portray a more luxurious material. Also, if families wish to have a headstone with a very complex design cut into it, marble is a good choice as it is great for carving.
- Granite – Being the most popular choice, you will see this material used for headstones frequently. Not only is it a beautiful material that is available in a variety of colors, it is also very durable which is another aspect family enjoy.
- Sandstone – Even though sandstone may not be as durable as other materials and require a bit more care, it is a popular choice for families who wish to have a unique headstone as it is easy to cut into customized designs.
While it can be daunting to select the perfect headstone for your loved one, knowing what type and material you want is a great starting point. Once those elements are decided your funeral director or headstone provider can walk you through options for customizations.
If you need further information about headstones or services provided by funeral homes in Martensville, SK., don’t hesitate to call or visit in person anytime. Our staff is always available to help you in any way we can.